Gabriella has garnered up quite a collection of nicknames in her 15 months of life. Well, actually, I guess the name collecting began when she was the size of a bean and Michael and I started calling our baby by the gender neutral monikor - “The Bean” (when we referred to the baby) or “Bean” (when we spoke to the baby). When we brought her home, she had been “Bean” for so long that it stuck and is still used daily. Also included in the category of food based nicknames were “Nugget” and “Peanut” (which make a rare appearance) and “Honey” (which Michael uses frequently). There was a short period of time when I added an “o” to her nickname of “Bean”, and called her “Beano” due to some noisy functions she demonstrated in her first few weeks of life. Michael quickly nixed that one and I changed the last syllable, calling her “Beanie” (which I still frequently use). “Ella” was always the nickname that we had in mind for her when we chose the name Gabriella and I use it often around others to subliminally discourage the use of “Gabby” (which seems to be the preferred option by strangers when shortening her name). When writing, I often shorten my own name to a single letter (“C”) and have done the same for her, referring to her as “G”, although we sometimes call her “G” as well. Michael has played with this nickname, changing it to “G-unit” (said GGGGG-G unit). My Dad (her Papa) calls her “Papazella” (said with an Italian accent, although he is not Italian). I’m not sure if it was Michael’s mom or dad, but someone called her “Miss Gabriella” and that nickname stuck as well (for a while, my 2 year old niece, Adelaide, was calling her “Miss Gabriella”) whenever she referred to her. ’m sure that, like shoes, she will continue to collect names as time goes on.
Happy Mother's Day Weekend!





No comments:
Post a Comment