2.28.2012

The Potty Is My Friend...

...Potty Words ARE NOT!

So... Miss Gabriella has been successfully using the toilet for some time now.  Since December, I have let her wear her big girl underwear in the afternoons for an hour or so to warm her up to the idea.  Her enthusiasm for big girl underwear prompted me to dive in last week and move to exclusively underwear at all times except nap and bedtime (and long car rides).  I would be lying if I said there have been no accidents.  She had one a day for the first three days.  Since then (knock on wood) she has been awesome at going to the bathroom when she gets the urge AND holding it when we are out and about.  If a while has gone by and she hasn't initiated a trip on her own because she is absorbed in playing with toys, I will prompt her to take a trip with me (I think it may be more my paranoia about her having an accident and less about her forgetting that she needs to go).  AND, I got a call one night on my way to work that she had used the toilet for #2 for the very first time!!

Like moving away from bottles and formula and moving into a big girl bed, I admit that G has made the transition SO easy.  She seems eager to grow out of "baby" things and into big girl things.  One thing she is not eager to grow out of...using potty words inappropriately.  She randomly utters "peepee" and "poopoo" and giggles uncontrollably.  The better she is at using the toilet appropriately, the worse she is at using potty words inappropriately.  So...I'm now trying to figure out the best way to handle it.  on Sunday, I tried everything...telling her that I didn't want her to do it, ignoring her and giving her a timeout...none seemed effective.




2 comments:

  1. Way to go Gabriella (with the potty training, not the potty words)!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad she's doing so well w/ training! We've been at it hard core the last week or so, it's getting better. I think they're just so interested in the words and the changes that it's on.their.mind. Last night at dinner Peter got up to go to the bathroom and wash his hands, and Kirsten goes, "Daddy pee or poop?" Well, I guess she's curious!

    I have a feeling as the potty gets to be old news, so will the random expressions of potty words. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...